18 February 2015

Vintage fashion or just stuff you have kept a long time?

I keep some clothes for years because I like them and they still fit. Some clothes have a special meaning..my wedding dress fits neatly into that category. Other things I've kept are more niche in their appeal. I know that I will never mend the huge rip in my black jeans, but they are the only pair of trousers that never needed turning up..proving somewhere that there are people with my leg length. There is no doubt that clothes are not as age specific as they once were. I feel that leggings and les femmes d'un certain âge can be a statement. Mainly one of comfort and sometimes one of tension...in the fabric.
I have jumpers and cardigans that tend to go down the 'not worn for a while' pile as Fleeces ..lighter to wear,easier to wash, rise through the ranks. Zips are better than buttons....solves the 'Have I got the buttons done up properly or is one side longer than the other? dilemma.
Other clothes like summer dresses wait patiently at the end of the rail. Surely 1976 won't be the last hot summer in England? Will I ever again wear a summer frock and sandals and a white cardigan?
Trousers came of age when three quarter length legs were OK. No more matching the length of your flares to the ground...or just covering the top of your shoe enough.
My stuff is original vintage, simply because I've kept it for a long time.
Now people are wearing flares again. Last year you couldn't move (literally in some cases ) for tripping over the hem of a maxi dress. What is this? Is time moving backwards or has the memory of designers reset itself to year zero...or 1970? So when will the 'new ' vintage become old vintage? In 50 years will there be a choice of a 1970s maxi dress or a 2014 one? I expect so. Lots more of the latter I expect as 1970s cotton has not lasted as well as it might. But I wore 1940s platform shoes in 1970 and thought that they were fab....plus ça costume change as someone might have said.
But 'Shoes I Have Kept' is a story for another day......

No comments:

Post a Comment