23 February 2015

A scarf by any other name


Would surely be just as useful. I have a lot of scarves.
Long ones. Short ones. Lots of glittery ones.Vintage jewels of fragility and muted colour. Strong solid blocks of primary colours. Prints of flowers, abstracts and geometric designs. Woven with tinsel, edged with fringes and beads and bells. Some have tiny mirrors in them. One has a huge plastic diamond hung between two pieces of plastic gold. So much to drape, tie, twist or arrange on one shoulder.
They can keep your neck warm, hide your less than flat tum and finish off a colour scheme without having to do more than sit there. I have a black silk square, with a hand rolled hem. I always feel more soigné with it knotted loosely round my neck. It never stays tied, but slithers gracefully down and off...one day it will go where all scarves and odd gloves go, never to be seen again.
Long scarves that go round and round your neck are fun. Does anyone else find crumbs in the folds when you take them off?
If you are anywhere hot enough to go out in the evening in a sleeveless dress, how much more dressy/romantic/classy does it feel to have a huge scarf worn as a wrap?
If it is very very cold, a woolly scarf worn high up over your mouth is very comforting and snug.
I have never mastered the scarf worn as headcovering trick. Either there are a lot of hair clips being used that I'm not aware of, or I have very slippery hair.
You used  to see women coming out of the hairdressers with a chiffon scarf tied loosely round their newly set hair. Long time since I 've spotted one of those. But I did see a clear plastic rainhood being worn recently.
The old ways never really go away. Chiffon scarves will come around again soon I expect and we will all be wearing one.Think I'll pass on the plastic rain hood though.

No comments:

Post a Comment