21 March 2015

Dress Back Stories


There are things in a Museum that you can walk past without a second glance.
Other items make you pause and think how interesting and  I didn't know that!
And the best bit is when you see something that makes you stop and look and examine and wonder.
Costumes, clothes, dresses..whatever you like to call them... do it for me every time.
I am lucky enough to have I had the chance to get up close to some of the clothes (white gloves in place of course) that are held by Henfield Museum in West Sussex. Promoting the Museum was important, as was writing pieces about the costume collection . I wanted to describe the clothes and invest them with a flavour of their back story .

One dress was so intriguing that I did a lot of digging and was delighted to be able to offer a possible explanation as to why a gorgeous velvet evening dress in perfect condition had been donated to the collection. With an obituary from a Parish Mag to work from I managed to trace a friend of the lady who had worn the dress. With the info from her and the assistance of a charity she had devoted many hours to I and was able to discover how full her life  had been. She had had an important job in London at a time when women in senior jobs were a rarity. The simple answer to why such an elaborate evening gown was part of her life was that the Charity regularly had a dinner dance at their headquarters, and this lady was on the dance Committee. Sadly she became ill and as far as I can ascertain, it was she who had donated her dress, wishing to get her affairs in order. I wish I 'd met her. So many stories sewn up in dresses....

Have a peek at some of the other treasures I have looked at....

http://issuu.com/bn5magazine/docs/bn5_june_13       P23

http://issuu.com/bn5magazine/docs/bn_october_13    P16

http://issuu.com/bn5magazine/docs/bn5_jan_14         P13

http://issuu.com/bn5magazine/docs/bn5_june_14       P19 & 20

BN5 is a great local magazine. They are always keen to help village institutions.



No comments:

Post a Comment