19 April 2015

Oh to be in England

It is one of those sunny days in an English spring when a young girls fancy turns to summer dresses. Proper summer frocks... no doubt influenced  by what you wore as you grew up..floral, pastel, sash for a bow at the back, cap sleeves and a square neck. Horrocks made them for older girls and now I think about it my school summer uniform was this pattern, but with a Peter Pan collar and a belt that did up with buttons at the front.
There was something about a summer dress and white ankle socks and of course, your special summer white cardigan. It was all about wearing the correct clothes at the correct time and/or event. In some ways it was so much easier. Everyone knew what to wear when. As with a lot of things this has plus and minus sides. Yes, its freer and more casual now..but then the agony of what to wear to an event is doubled. I have been to a black tie dinner where a lady wore trousers...(not 'evening' trousers, cloth ones) and to weddings where guests look as if they are on their way to the shops. Does it matter? I think so. Not everyone has the money, inclination or time to 'dress up', but surely a special occasion should just be that?
I began with summer frocks and seem to have veered off into 'it was all different in my day'. Every time I do this I feel old. And whats more I now know that whatever you swear you are not going to do when you are older, (because you parents did it mostly), you do. And saddest of all, you sometimes don't even know you are doing it.
Time to go and moan at some modern music on the radio I think.....

No comments:

Post a Comment